Last week, I installed monit from pkgsrc on two of my netbsd-machines. Monit is a powerful monitoring tool – at least it is, once you got it up and running successfully. In general, it’s configuration is quite simple, the syntax very easy to understand – on the first glance. That, combined with it’s great capabilities of [...]
As I wrote in my previous Post, , the so far gained speed up of compilation times was significant, but it still took long. The most obvious solution was to add more hosts to the list, but which hosts should that be? The Ultra-5 of course not, and all other Sun computers were slower and [...]
Introduction I have several old Sun machines, which are all still working fine, but partly lack performance of modern computers and/or RAM. I usually install NetBSD on my computers, especially on those Sun-boxes. The advantage is that every machine has the same “look and feel”, I know exactly what to do, etc. The downside is [...]
For some time now, I have been experiencing weird bugs with my webserver. I was running a lighttpd, version 1.4.22. Two annoying bugs occurred:
The first was more a nuisance when uploading files through a POST, which resulted in error 417 “Expectation failed” on the first attempt (while on the second it worked).
The second bug resulted in a reproducible denial-of-service, as it crashed the webserver. It occurred whenever a firefox-webbrowser attempted to connect to the server through HTTPS.
I hoped these bugs to be solved by upgrading from 1.4.22 to 1.4.23 and 1.4.24, but that did not happen. As I needed a solution to these bugs, I decided to switch from lighttpd to nginx.
The transition went surprisingly smooth. The configuration is a bit more complicated as it was with lighttpd, but easily set up and quite good explained on nginx’s website, too.
Now, nginx runs all my websites, interacts with PHP through FastCGI, and problems seem to be gone.
In my I wrote about hardening sendmail against DDoS-Attacks. As someone has pointed out to me, I have missed an important option: 1 define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN’, `<em>count</em>’)dnl define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN’, `<em>count</em>’)dnl This option defines the maximum number of sendmail-processes allowed, before sendmail start rejecting incoming connections with a temporary error. count should be chosen with great care. I recommend [...]
For some time now, I was experiencing a strange behavior of my server: from time to time, without an ascertainable pattern, the server would stop reacting to network-requests. The teamspeak-server, which runs on it, would kick anyone connected to it, and nothing particular special could be found in the logs. When this happened last Thursday, [...]