The server is now back online after giving me slight trouble on Friday night. I want to apologize for the server-downtime and for any inconvenience it may have caused, but it should be fixed now. I used the downtime to perform some overdue updates on several packages and the operating system itself. Everything is back […]
The widely used opensource email-server Exim has been reported to be vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the DKIM DNS Decoding routines. An updated version of Exim, which addresses this issue is already available. As it fixes only this specific issue, the new version-number is 4.80.1. According to the Author, Phil Pennock, to avoid confusion, there […]
The Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) is currently warning about a critical vulnerability in the free BIND name server, which can be exploited by an attacker to cause a denial-of-service condition (DoS). According to the ISC, the security issue CVE-2012-5166 is caused by a problem when processing a specially crafted combination of resource records (RDATA): when […]
Since I have quite a number of server-machines I thought it was about time to give them a proper “home”. Since I don’t have a professional server-rack, and those promised to me never showed up, I decided to look for alternatives…which I actually found at LackRack.org. Inspired by that website, I built my own rack…but […]
As I wrote in my previous Post, , the so far gained speed up of compilation times was significant, but it still took long. The most obvious solution was to add more hosts to the list, but which hosts should that be? The Ultra-5 of course not, and all other Sun computers were slower and […]
Introduction I have several old Sun machines, which are all still working fine, but partly lack performance of modern computers and/or RAM. I usually install NetBSD on my computers, especially on those Sun-boxes. The advantage is that every machine has the same “look and feel”, I know exactly what to do, etc. The downside is […]
Today, I received an announcement by e-mail that the server mail.netbsd.org will be unavailable due maintenance and upgrade on Sunday, Nov 7th 2010, starting at 09:00 hours UTC. Just in case, anyone wonders…
The problem is TLSv1. Not in the server, but in the browser. As long as you keep your (UNIX-(like)) system up-t0-date, and compile your firefox yourself, or the maintainers of your package-system are doing that properly, everything remains fine. Should you be a windows- or MacOS-X-user, though, and should you furthermore be so unlucky as to use the binary provided by the Mozilla-Dev-Team, you’re in for some trouble, because that version of Firefox cannot display websites using TLSv1.
I surrendered. I officially admit that I surrendered. Last weekend, I compiled and installed the apache web-server again, and now most of the sites I am hosting are up and running on the apache again.